Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ok, so maybe Rachel Ray isn't THAT bad


Thai Turkey Burgers with Warm Pineapple Salsa (*note: disregard the hugemongeous bun. The burger is actually good-sized, but the buns I bought are so big that they make the patty look teeny weeny.)

I have a love/hate relationship with Rachel Ray. I like watching her cooking show - I'll admit that I like grabbing a few ideas from her, but I mainly watch it because I like to critque her! It amazes me that someone can jabber on for 30 minutes non-stop talking to herself. And all those Rachel-isms. HOW LAME. And how many times can she possibly say "e.v.o.o" or "delish!" in one show (in her smoker-ish voice)? Come on.

But despite how annoying she is, she actually provided me with a tasty meal last night. In search of a simple recipe to make on a lazy Saturday evening, MLF and I dusted off my little-used Rachel Ray 30-minute Meal cookbook. After perusing the book for a mere 2 minutes, we settled on the Thai Turkey Burgers with Warm Pineapple Salsa. It seemed healthy, had strong exotic flavors, and involved minimal ingredients to buy. I tackled the burger portion of the recipe while MLF got to work on the salsa. The recipe was quick and delicious!! The burger patty is studded with garlic and scallions and flavored with curry powder and soy sauce. The sweet and spicy flavors of the salsa complemented it perfectly. This recipe is definitely a keeper. "Yum-o!" as Rachel Ray would say! *cringe!!!!!!!!!*

Thai Turkey Burgers

WARM PINEAPPLE SALSA

1 fresh, ripe, cored pineapple (I used a normal-sized can of sliced pineapple instead)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
10-15 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (I used dried basil)

BURGERS

1.3 lbs ground turkey breast
1 inch fresh gingerroot (or 2 pinches of ground ginger)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs dark soy sauce
2 tsp curry powder
Coarse salt, to taste
2 scallions, finely chopped
4 cornmeal-topped rolls or 4 toasted sandwich-size English muffins, split
Bibb, Boston, or red leaf lettuce for topping

Drain pineapple and cut into pieces. Place in food processor and process to a coarse, chunky texture. Heat sesame oil and crushed red pepper flakes in a skillet over medium-high heat until oil smokes. Add bell pepper and onions and cook 1-2 minutes. Add pineapple and heat through. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in basil. Let the salsa hang out in the warm pan while you cook burgers.

Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high head. Combine turkey, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, curry powder, salt and scallions. From into 4 patties and cook on skillet, 4 minutes on each side. Serve on rolls with lots of pineapple salsa and lettuce, with a chunked vegetable salad and your favorite chips alongside.

FROM: Classic Rachel Ray 30-Minute Meals


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Yeah, I have a love hate relationship with her as well. I love that she is a self made woman and that she is trying to get people, even busy people back into their kitchens. But her Rachael-isms do get in the way of my ability to enjoy her show.

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

Deanna S. said...

I have learned a thing or two about technique from her, but just can't seem to sit through a whole episode anymore!

These burgers look great! I am always looking for ways to use the ground turkey. I'm usually solo in the kitchen, but bet my hubby could make the salsa...thanks for planting that seed. Cheers!

Mary Ann said...

That looks so good. I have to admit I am a Racheal fan, but I never watch her. She does have some great recipes!